Monday, June 21, 2010

18 HOURS HERE, 18 HOURS THERE. AND A MOOSE IN BETWEEN.

Our travels began Saturday evening at 6:00pm. We left the state of South Carolina with me, myself, and I driving. After two hours I was ready to hand over the captains seat and take in the scenery that was around us...and thank goodness I did because I really could not take my eyes off of THIS.

I had never heard of the South of the Border before but when I saw and read the signs for it 50 miles before we even arrived to it, I knew I was in for a real highway oasis. Seriously! Of course we had to stop, of course! V wanted a magnet to add to our collection. Our goal was to find a bride and groom because 1. South of the Border is a great place to have a destination wedding(obviously) and 2. We wanted to send it to our family, just for giggles. ;) Once we found our fabulous obnoxious magnet for our future refrigerator we ventured out of the land of specialness and made our way further north. By this time it was getting close to dark and my eyes were beginning to take their detour south aka closed. I tried to stay awake as long as possible for V knowing that he was in a little bit of pain and wasn't in his right stature to be driving. Unfortunately, I could not hang. Cat naps here and there were necessary for my sanity. At around 3:15 we pulled off in Delaware(unaware that we had recently driven through DC AND Maryland....what the heck? where was I during all of this?....WOOPS!) Delaware was a perfect place for a quick nap for V and me. By 4:30 we were back on the road heading to New Jersey.

Ahhhhh New Jersey......now I've never been to this part of the country before but according to MTV and Jersey Shore...I could tell I was in for a trashy treat. ok ok ok, so New Jersey may not be all that bad(from what I hear) but from what I could see...WHOA. That turnpike looked just as trashy as those leather faced reality folks. It was disgusting. As we jumped from tollbooth to tollbooth we soon came upon....THE BIG APPLE! I have NEVER been to New York City before and even seeing it from a decent was soo awesome! It was about 7 in the morning so the morning fog was a bit of a problem but still, I could see the skyline and the outline of all the buildings! Very exciting!

Once we were out of the crazy New York traffica, we were finally in Connecticut. Um, all it took was crossing a bridge to cross into a completely different world(from what people have said)??? V kept telling me how beautiful the state was and finally I turned to him and said "where?" 3 minutes later he was pulling off the interstate which landed us into a very fancy neighborhood with massive homes.....on.....a.....private.....beach!! Private Beach? WHAT! Yes, we stopped! It was amazing, the fog was still coming off the water, old men were out fly fishing, birds were wading in the collldddd water, and we watched two horseshoe crabs get it on in the water(nice touch to the start of our day..) While at the beach, we changed, brushed our teeth, and climbed along the rocks for some sweet pictures! The neighborhood was something right out of a movie, the homes were incredible and the scenery..oh the scenery was perfect! After we pulled our bottom lips up from drooling we then hit the road to find some yummy Connecticut breakfast! We stopped at the Cromwell Diner in Cromwell, Connecticut where we shoveled down some yummy pancakes, eggs, an egg sandwich, sausage and were done with our people watching...we both decided that I should drive the rest of the way so that V could rest his back and could get some shut eye. The rest of the way was a piece of cake! We drove straight through Massachusetts, it was a bit small but very beautiful, unfortunately we did not have time to stop(sorry X). Once out of Massachusetts....we then were in......

from the words of our australian accent gps: "ARRIVING AT NORWICH UNIVERSITY IN NORTHFIELD, VERMONT!" hearing those words were relieving as well as sad, sad because our trip had come to an end and we would soon have to say our goodbyes...until next weekend...
VERMONT! Aka. Moose Country? One of the first road signs we saw in Vermont was MOOSE CROSSING! Moose Crossing? They have moose here? I'm still a little shocked by this, ignore me. But really, I would have LOVED to have seen a moose! As we drove up and down mountains, I was surprised at how gorgeous the state was, I had no idea this place was so green and so mountainy! As we finallllly pulled into Northfield, VT so V could check in with the school we wasted no time getting back on the road to Burlington so that I could hop onto a plane only to come back to Charleston. :( On the bright side: 1. spent 20 hours in a car with V and we still wanted to kiss afterwards and 2. I will be back in Vermont on Thursday! Only to drive back down to Charleston....another 18 hours in the car...making it a 36 hour trip all around. And I still think I'll keep him! :)

2 comments:

  1. that is a LONG car ride. so glad you survived. love the beach pic......hot damn

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never heard of south of the border, either! what the heck is this place?

    ReplyDelete